I remember the first time I had a pizookie at BJ’s Restaurant. It was around Christmas one year, and my ballet instructor had taken me to see the Los Angeles Ballet perform The Nutcracker at the Dolby Theatre.
As an aspiring ballet dancer looking forward to spending the summer training with the American Ballet Theatre, I loved the performance.
But all these years later, what I most remember from that outing is the chocolate chunk pizookie we enjoyed afterwards. Gooey in the center, perfectly cooked on the edges, with ice cream piled on top, that pizookie was a hallmark dessert in my life.
When I went vegan years later, it became my quest to develop a vegan pizookie recipe. Eventually, I did. Through the years I’ve made minor adjustments to the recipe. Now—if I may humbly say so—it’s the perfect pizookie.
Vegan Pizookie Secret Ingredient
The ingredient that makes my vegan pizookie different is shredded coconut. There’s something about the combination of the coconut, Earth Balance, and brown sugar that makes this pizookie extra buttery, even though it’s vegan.
This almost caramel-like buttery-ness is what makes this not just a vegan pizookie, but a vegan pizookie blondie.
Make This Blondie!
As a vegetarian now, sometimes I make this pizookie with butter instead of Earth Balance Buttery Sticks. Sometimes I substitute the chocolate chunks with white chocolate chips or butterscotch chips.
Whether you keep it vegan or not, make this buttery vegan pizookie blondie the next time you crave a decadent dessert that’s also quick and easy to make.
A Few Things
You could eat this pizookie straight from the pan, with ice cream and chocolate sauce on top, just like they serve pizookies at BJ’s.
My recommendation, however, is to let the pizookie blondie cool for 30 minutes after baking. Then, slice the pizookie to individual pieces, and top each piece with my homemade whipped cream and chocolate sauce.
Vegan Pizookie Egg Replacer
There are no eggs in this blondie. The work of the egg is done by ground flax seed. Mixed with water, ground flax seed becomes goopy, and has binding properties like an egg. The flax seed “egg” is also largely responsible for the perfect texture of this pizookie: gooey without being undercooked in the center, and crisp without being burnt on the edges.
Vegan Pizookie Blondie
For the wet ingredients:
- 1 flax seed egg, (2 Tbsp ground flax seed + 3 Tbsp water)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup Earth Balance Buttery Sticks, melted (or butter)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup shredded coconut
For the dry ingredients:
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup chocolate chunks, or chocolate chips
Make the flax seed egg and melt the butter
- Whisk the ground flax seed and water together in a small bowl. Let the mixture sit until it gets goopy.
- Next, microwave the butter until just melted.
Mix the wet ingredients together
- To a medium-sized mixing bowl, add the flax seed egg and brown sugar. Stir together until incorporated. You may have to use your hands, the mixture will be thick.
- Now mix in the melted butter and vanilla extract. Once just combined, mix in the shredded coconut.
Add the dry ingredients
- Now add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Once the dry ingredients are almost completely incorporated, add the chocolate chunks. Continue mixing until everything is just combined.
Bake the pizookie
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spread the batter evenly into an oiled 9 inch circular metal pan.
- Bake the pizookie for 35 minutes. It will be set on top and a toothpick inserted in the middle will come out mostly clean. Don’t overbake!