I’ll be honest.
I have no memory of what gyros actually tastes like.
(In case you were curious, “gyros” not “gyro” is the proper Greek spelling of this classic dish. And in Greek, “gyros,” with the “s,” is a singular noun.)
But I have amazing memories of enjoying gyros wraps and doner kebabs during my time in Brussels, Belgium. Whether I was working in Brussels, or visiting another country for the weekend, I could usually find a delicious and affordable place to get a gyros wrap.
One of the things that prompted me to go vegetarian was the realization that with foods like gyros wraps and kebabs, it wasn’t the meat that attracted me to the dish: it was the spices, textures, and, quite literally, all the ingredients around the meat that kept me coming back for more.
So with all that nostalgia surrounding gyros for me, I decided it was time to create a vegan gyros recipe.
Ultimately, I chose seitan, with its meaty texture, and ability to be cut or shaved very thinly, for my plant-based gyros recipe. And cool fact about seitan: vital wheat gluten, the natural wheat protein seitan is made from, has 23 grams of protein in a mere 1/4 cup. So no worries about missing out on your protein with my vegan gyros recipe.
Season the seitan with oregano and marjoram [aff. link], cook with garlic and onion until the seitan is slightly crisp on the outside, and you’ve got delicious vegan gyros for a pita or flatbread wrap.
The Perfect Sauce for Vegan Gyros
Tzatziki is the perfect sauce to spread on the flatbread before adding the vegan gyros, greens, tomatoes, and red onion to the wrap. Here is my recipe for Easy Homemade Tzatziki, but if you don’t feel like making tzatziki, store bought works great too. Keep the wrap vegan by using a vegan tzatziki.
We’ve already made these wraps about five times this month. Paired with my Greek fries and Zeta sauce, and dipped in my Smoky Sweet Tahini sauce, these vegan gyros wraps are truly the quintessential summer meal. I’m sure they’ll be a hit in your home as well!
Easy Vegan Gyros Wraps
For the vegan gyros:
- 1 pound seitan, thinly shaved
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp marjoram
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 3-4 pitas or flatbreads
- greens of choice, arugula, spinach, etc.
- red onion, thinly sliced
- tomatoes, thinly sliced
- tzatziki, (use a tzatziki made with vegan Greek yogurt to keep these wraps vegan)
- Smoky Sweet Tahini Sauce, optional, but great for dipping. (See notes for my recipe.)
Make the gyros
- In a medium-sized skillet, cook the onion, garlic and ¼ tsp salt over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. The onion will turn translucent and begin to brown.
- Now turn the heat to low, and cook the onion and garlic for an additional 5 minutes.
Add the seitan and seasonings
- Vegan gyros is done!
Compile the wrap
- Take a pita or flatbread, and spread a generous amount of tzatziki over the bread.
- Layer some greens on top (I prefer arugula), followed by the vegan gyros.
- Top with thinly sliced tomato and red onion.
Serve and enjoy!
- Serve alone, or with my Smoky Sweet Tahini Sauce and my Greek Fries.