These Sriracha Vegenaise Sandwiches were lifesavers this weekend.
This is no overstatement.
We’re in the midst of a heat wave. The last thing I wanted to do this long Labor Day weekend was turn on the oven.
Thanks to these sandwiches, I didn’t have to.
Sriracha Vegenaise Sandwich Components
These Sriracha Vegenaise sandwiches are so easy to make, I’m slightly embarrassed to call them a recipe.
All you need for these sandwiches:
Good sandwich rolls: I recommend using French bread hoagies, available in the bakery of most grocery stores.
Baked Tofu: use Trader Joe’s Teriyaki Flavored Baked Tofu.
Lettuce: I recommend butter leaf.
Cheddar cheese: To keep these sandwiches vegan, omit or use vegan cheddar.
Vegenaise: You can substitute mayonnaise, if preferred.
Make These Sriracha Vegenaise Sandwiches!
The hardest part of this recipe is whisking together the Sriracha and Vegenaise/mayonnaise. Then it’s all about compiling the ingredients on the sandwich roll.
In other words, these sandwiches require zero effort.
If you find yourself in the midst of a heatwave and don’t want to turn the oven on, or if you just need a delicious, easy meal that comes together in minutes, make these Sriracha Vegenaise Sandwiches.
A Few Things
You may have noticed that there’s a Sriracha shortage. My husband keeps track of these things, and made sure we were well stocked just before the shortage became national news.
So, I haven’t had to try any Sriracha knock-offs yet. But I can see it happening in the near future.
Yellowbird Blue Agave Sriracha [aff. link] seems to be a worthy Sriracha alternative. I have not yet used it, but if we run out of Huy Fong, this will be the first Sriracha alternative I try.
Trader Joe’s makes a Sriracha flavored baked tofu. But I don’t like the taste. So, my recipe specifies to use Trader Joe’s teriyaki flavored baked tofu.
The teriyaki flavor is so mild you probably won’t taste it. Even if you have a sensitive pallet, the teriyaki baked tofu does match the other flavors in this sandwich. However, feel free to use the Trader Joes’s Sriracha baked tofu for these sandwiches if you like the flavor.
Last, use a cheese plane to thinly slice the cheddar. You’ll be amazed at how much better cheese tastes when cut to even, thin slices with a cheese plane. Here’s my favorite cheese plane on Amazon [aff. link]. You can also find it in my Amazon Store here.
Sriracha Vegenaise Sandwiches
For the Sriracha Vegenaise:
- ⅓ cup Vegenaise, or mayonnaise
- 2 - 2 ½ Tbsp Sriracha, (use 2 ½ Tbsp if you like more heat and a stronger Sriracha flavor)
- 1 package (2 blocks) Trader Joe’s Teriyaki Baked Tofu , or other mild flavored baked tofu, sliced to about ¼ inch pieces (see photo above)
- 3-4 French bread hoagies
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, use more or less to preference
- butter leaf lettuce
- cheddar, thinly sliced
Make the Sriracha Vegenaise
- Add the Vegenaise (or mayonnaise) and Sriracha to a small bowl. Whisk together with a fork until the sauces are completely combined and smooth.
Compile the sandwiches
- Butterfly the hoagies. (Cut the hoagies so that each hoagie can be opened like a book.)
- Spread 1-2 tsp of the Sriracha Vegenaise onto each half of the hoagies.
- Now layer a few pieces of the butter leaf lettuce over the sauce.
- Next, place the tofu slices on top of the lettuce.
- Now layer a few cheese slices on top of the tofu.
- Last, put cilantro leaves on top of the cheese. I prefer to use 2-3 Tbsp of cilantro per sandwich.
Serve and enjoy
- Serve the sandwiches with fries, chips, or a salad. Enjoy!