I’ve mentioned before what a fan of lentils I am.
Lentils are one of my very favorite foods. They may look humble, but lentils are delicious, filling, and packed with protein. And there’s something about the warm, earthy flavor of lentils that makes them a comfort food in my book.
I’m convinced more of us would be lentil fans if it was better known how easy they are to make, and what to pair them with.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Lentils: The Perfect Match
I absolutely love pairing lentils with potatoes and tahini sauce.
And these roasted sweet potatoes and parsley tahini sauce are two of my favorite things to serve with lentils.
The sweetness of the potatoes, and the slight caramelization that happens during roasting, is the perfect complement to the earthiness of the lentils.
Then you drizzle some creamy parsley tahini sauce on top of it all, and you’ve got a meal I’ll have second helpings of every time!
My Favorite Lentils
If you follow my easy instructions in the recipe card below, you’ll end up with perfect lentils every time. And if you use my favorite brand of lentils, they’ll turn out even better.
Yes, I actually have a favorite lentil brand. Palouse Brand is a 5th generation family-run, vertically integrated legumes and grains farm in Washington. I’m telling you, Palouse Brand lentils turn out perfectly every time: cooked through, and with that satisfying bite property prepared lentils should have.
You can find Palouse Brand lentils here on Amazon [aff. link].
Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Lentils: A Healthy Weeknight Meal
Make my Lentils with Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Parsley Tahini sauce for dinner this week! If this meal made my four year old a lentil fan–I wasn’t the only one going back for seconds!–then I’m sure it’s a dish the whole family will enjoy.
Lentils with Sweet Potatoes And Parsley Tahini Sauce
For the lentils:
- 1 ½ cups lentils, rinsed
- 3 ½ cups water
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion salt
- ½ tsp sea salt
For the potatoes:
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and diced to ½ inch pieces (or use whatever potatoes you have on hand)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp onion salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp pepper
For the tahini sauce
- ½ cup tahini
- ⅓ - ½ cup water
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 pinch of ground black pepper
- 2-3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Cook the lentils
- Place the rinsed lentils, water, garlic powder, and onion powder in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat, and bring the lentils to a simmer. Simmer for about 35-40 minutes, until the lentils are cooked through but still have a bite to them.
- Once the lentils finish cooking, drain any excess water and add the salt. Lentils are done.
- While the lentils cook, prepare the sweet potatoes and the sauce.
Roast the sweet potatoes potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the sweet potatoes, seasonings, and olive oil on a standard-sized baking sheet.
- With your hands, toss the potatoes until the seasonings and olive oil evenly coat them.
- Roast the potatoes at 375 degrees for 17 minutes.
- Take the potatoes out of the oven, and flip them so a different side of each potato is face down on the baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet back in the oven, and roast the potatoes for an additional 17 minutes. Potatoes are done!
Make the parsley tahini sauce
- To a food processor or blending apparatus, add the tahini, salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, lemon juice, and ⅓ cup water.
- Pulse to get things going, then process until everything is combined, the garlic is broken down, and the parsley has turned to small flecks.
- If the sauce is too thick, add 1 Tbsp more water. Process until the water incorporates. If the sauce is still too thick, continue adding water in 1 tsp increments until your desired thickness is achieved.
- Taste the sauce, and add a pinch more salt or lemon juice, if desired. Tahini sauce is done.
Serve and enjoy!
- To each plate, add the lentils, sweet potatoes, and some greens. (I prefer spinach.) Drizzle the parsley tahini sauce over the top of everything and serve!
I remember you talking about lentils before! I have to admit that I still need to get onboard there. I do enjoy lentils, but they don’t register on the menu planning around here often. I clearly need to work on that! This dish looks absolutely beautiful with the tahini drizzle, and I love the flavors you used. Talk about a delicious and healthy meal!
Thanks David! Oh this is one meal that will definitely put lentils on regular rotation at your house! My daughter just loves this combo. 😋
I am such a fan of sweet potatoes. I love this take on them. And I love the way you arranged the spinach!
Thanks Jeff! Aren’t sweet potatoes amazing? Definitely one of my favorite foods!
I love lentils but I don’t eat them very often – I need to change that! This combo sounds amazing – I love roasted sweet potatoes and can see how well they would go with lentils and some lovely tahini sauce, yum! Thanks for sharing this, Shannon!
Thanks Katerina! This is definitely one of my favorite ways to serve lentils, such a filling and healthy combo!
lentils are my favourite as well… awesome recipe dear… will try it for sure… thanks for sharing 🙂
Thanks Rashmi! Aren’t lentils amazing? So versatile!