Tostadas are the perfect weeknight meal.
Stacking a bunch of delicious ingredients on top of a tostada shell takes next to zero time or effort.
So you want to make sure that the ingredients you stack taste good.
These Beyond Meat Tostadas are a little untraditional. As the title suggests, Beyond Meat is an important component of this recipe. However; it’s not Beyond Meat ground that’s used.
These tostadas use Beyond Meat Sausage.
Beyond Meat Tostadas
I don’t particularly like Beyond Meat’s ground meat substitute. It’s expensive and the taste is over-powering. It obliterates the other flavors I’ve worked hard to create in the dish.
But Beyond Meat Sausage is the best plant-based sausage available, bar none. The flavor, texture, and the sausage’s ability to retain moisture after roasting are unmatched by other plant-based sausages.
A few weeks ago, I needed to get dinner on the table fast. I knew tostadas were the meal to accomplish this. We had some leftover roasted Beyond Meat Sausage, peppers, and onion from the vegan hush puppies I’d made the night before.
I grated some cheddar, opened a can of black beans, made some cilantro lime rice, and decided to put the leftover sausage and peppers in the rice.
The combination was absolutely addicting. When we put the mixture on top of the tostada shells, along with the beans and cheddar, I knew we had a repeat-recipe on our hands.
Make Beyond Meat Tostadas!
Make these Beyond Meat Tostadas on night when you feel like something fast, untraditional, and delicious. You won’t be disappointed.
For the cilantro lime rice:
- 4 cups cooked white rice, I prefer Basmati (in my rice cooker, 4 cups cooked white rice equals 1 ½ cups dry white rice)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter or Earth Balance, (or substitute with another 2 Tbsp olive oil)
- ½ - ¾ tsp sea salt
- ¾ cup cilantro, minced
- 1-2 Tbsp lime juice, freshly squeezed
For the Beyond Meat Sausage:
- 4 links Beyond Meat Sausage links, I prefer Hot Italian or Original Brat
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 7 sweet mini peppers, thinly sliced (use a mix of red, orange, and yellow mini peppers, if you can)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- tostada shells
- cheddar, freshly grated
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained
- sour cream
- hot sauce
Cook the rice
- If you haven't already, cook the rice.
Cut the sausage, onion, and peppers
- Thinly slice the onion and peppers. Be sure to remove the seeds from the peppers.
- For the Beyond Meat Sausage, begin by cutting each sausage link in half, length-wise. You will end up with 8 sausage link halves. Now cut each sausage link half into ½ inch slices. (So we are ultimately cutting the sausage to ½ inch thick half moons.)
Roast the sausage, onion, and peppers
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the sausage, sliced onion, sliced peppers, and salt on a standard-sized baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil over the top, and toss everything in the olive oil with you hands until evenly coated.
- Spread the sausage, sliced onion, and sliced peppers out evenly on the baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, take the baking sheet out of the oven, and flip everything with your spatula so a different side of each sausage, onion, and pepper is touching the baking sheet. Don’t worry if not everything turns over, this can be a very casual flip.
- Put the baking sheet back in the oven, and roast for another 8-12 minutes, until the sausage is cooked through and slightly browned.
Make the cilantro lime rice
- While the sausage roasts, compile the cilantro lime rice.
- Before adding anything to rice, allow it to cool for 10-15 minutes. The rice should be warm when we add the cilantro, lime juice, etc., but not too warm. If the rice is too warm it will lose its shape and clump during mixing.
- Once the rice has cooled for 10-15 minutes, add the olive oil, butter/Earth balance, cilantro, ½ tsp salt, and lime. Mix everything together until incorporated. Taste, and add the additional ¼ tsp salt or more lime juice, if needed.
Add the sausage, onion, and peppers
- Once the sausage, onion, and peppers are done cooking, add them to the cilantro lime rice. Just mix them into the rice with a spoon or spatula until completely incorporated.
Compile the tostadas and serve
- Take a tostada shell and pile it with the cilantro lime rice/Beyond Meat sausage mixture, black beans, cheddar (omit to keep vegan), lettuce, avocado, salsa, and any of your favorite tostada toppings.
I didn’t know how sausage on tostadas would go. But I made the recipe as written and ohhhh my goodness! So good, there were no leftovers.
I’m so happy you tried it, thanks Diana!