Fresh beets are messy.
They turn your hands pink and they can stain clothes.
But they’re so delicious I don’t care.
Roasted Beets and Potatoes
Fresh beets require a little more work: you do have to peel them. But after peeling, this recipe is easy and moves along pretty quickly.
My favorite part about this meal is that the beets and potatoes roast together. Toss them in a little olive oil and salt after peeling, and they finish roasting at the same time.
The only way this winning combination gets any better is the addition of my creamy balsamic dressing.
My Creamy Balsamic Dressing
I have variations of this creamy balsamic in a few recipes on the website. It was inspired by a balsamic dressing that California Pizza Kitchen used to serve. My creamy balsamic is incredibly versatile, but serving it over these roasted beets, potatoes, and a bed of arugula may be my favorite way to use it.
Add a little goat cheese (or feta) and dill to layer the flavors of this dish even more.
Beyond Meat Flatbreads
I serve this salad with my Beyond Meat Flatbreads to make a complete meal. Each flatbread is topped with mascarpone, red onion, more goat cheese/feta, kalamata olives, and Beyond Meat Sausage before baking. These flatbreads are delicious on their own, but they’re showstoppers when paired with the roasted beets, potatoes, and creamy balsamic.
Make Roasted Beets & Potatoes!
Don’t be scared of a little mess.
These roasted beets and potatoes are worth it, so make this elegant meal for dinner this week. 😋
A Few Things
Roasted Beets and Potatoes with Creamy Balsamic
For the flatbreads:
- 4-6 flatbreads, I like to use Trader Joe’s Naan Bread
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 9 kalamata olives, sliced
- Goat cheese or feta
- 1-2 links Beyond Meat sausage, cut to 1/2 inch slices or half moons
- Olive oil
- Fleur de sel
For the beets and potatoes:
- 1 pound beets, peeled and diced to ½ inch pieces
- 1 ½ pounds potatoes, peeled and diced to ½ inch pieces (I like to use Yukon Gold Potatoes here)
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
For the dressing:
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 3 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ Tbsp Vegenaise or mayonnaise
- Arugula, or greens of choice
- Fresh dill, minced
Make the flatbreads
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Lay 4-6 flatbreads out on a standard-sized baking sheet.
- On a cutting board, smash 2 garlic cloves with a large knife. Rub the smashed garlic cloves on each flatbread so the garlic juice coats each flatbread.
- Next drizzle some olive oil over each flatbread. Now randomly dollop mascarpone (about 1 tsp dollops) on each flatbread. Use an offset spatula or the back of a spoon to spread the mascarpone dollops out a bit.
- Now arrange the onion, olives, and Beyond Meat Sausage evenly on each flatbread. Last, sprinkle the goat cheese or feta over each flatbread. Use as much or as little as you’d like.
Bake the flatbreads
- Bake the flatbreads for 10-12 minutes, or until the feta is slightly browned.
- Take the flatbreads out of the oven, and sprinkle each one with fleur de sel and fresh dill. Flatbreads are done. (Note: you can warm the flatbreads back up in the oven after the beets and potatoes finish roasting. Just heat the oven to 200 degrees, and put the flatbread back in for about 5 minutes.)
Make the beets and potatoes
- Keep the oven preheated to 375 degrees.
- While the flatbreads bake, peel and chop the potatoes and beets.
- Place the potatoes, beets, olive oil, and salt on a standard-sized baking sheet.
- Toss everything together, then spread the beets and potatoes out in a single layer on the baking sheet.
Roast the beets and potatoes
- Roast the beets and potatoes for 17 minutes, then take them out of the oven, and flip with a spatula so that each beet and potato piece has a different side face down in the pan.
- Place back in the oven, and roast for an additional 17 minutes.
- Take the baking sheet out of the oven, flip the beets and potatoes one last time, and roast for a final 12-17 minutes. Beets and potatoes are done.
Make the dressing
- While the beets and potatoes roast, make the dressing.
- Simply whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a bowl until the dressing emulsifies. about 30 seconds - 1 minute. Dressing is done, set aside.
Bring it together and serve
- For each serving, lay out a bed of arugula, then top with the beets and potatoes. Drizzle some of the creamy balsamic over the beets, potatoes, and arugula, followed by a sprinkling of goat cheese (or feta) and fresh dill.
- Drizzle some of the creamy balsamic over each flatbread, if desired, and serve the flatbread and and the salad together. Enjoy!